Lime, Almond and Polenta Cake
Serves: approx. 10 slices
For the cake:
200g ground almonds
125g fine polenta
1½ tsp baking powder
225g softened butter
225g golden caster sugar
zest of 2 limes
3 eggs, beaten
For the drizzle:
150g icing sugar
juice of 3 limes
1. Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan. Grease a 23cm diameter loose bottomed tin, and line the base with baking parchment.
2. Place the ground almonds, polenta and baking powder into a bowl and stir. Set aside.
3. Cream the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. Add the lime zest.
4. Add half of the dry ingredients and half of the eggs, and beat to combine. Repeat with the remaining ingredients.
5. Spoon the mixture into the tin, and level with the back of the spoon. Bake for approximately 35-40 minutes.
6. Gently heat the icing sugar and lime juice in a saucepan, until the sugar is dissolved.
7. As soon as the cake is removed from the oven, prick the top all over with a thin metal skewer or cake tester, and drizzle the sugar and lime syrup evenly over the top. Leave to cool in the tin. When cool, remove carefully as the cake has a crumbly texture.